After signing an exciting agreement on our house, our next step was to schedule a 5-6 hour session at the local Beazer Design Studio. It’s by appointment only and is scheduled through your Beazer new homes consultant. The design studio is where you would choose your selections and/or upgrades for your house. The selections can include internal paint colors, carpet, tiles, lighting, kitchen cabinets, kitchen backsplashes, faucet finishes, media wiring, and etc.
Based on my experience and working directly with our awesome home consultant, the following are tips and what you should expect to do before attending the design studio to wrapping up your session.
Before Attending Your Beazer Design Studio Session
Visit the Beazer Design Studio by yourself or with a spouse or a friend. This is where you can have all the time in the world to see all the selections available to figure out what would match well in terms of color scheme and potential upgrades you may be interested in. My wife and her friend went out to the design studio and had a chance to conduct homework with the sample pieces to see which colors and materials worked and did not worked. They took pictures of the samples they put together and my wife created a list of options she liked. For me, I had to stay home to watch my kids so facetime through my phone made it possible to be part of the research experience. This home design homework made us more prepared for the actual scheduled appointment.
The main reason for doing homework in advance is to make sure you can make the most effective design decisions for your new house in less than 5-6 hours. You’re only given about 24-48 hours after the session to change your home design decisions. After the 48 hours, you have to pay a fee for each change request. The fee is not cheap and could be better spent on upgrades for your house.
Attending your Beazer Home Design Studio Session
- Make sure to arrive 15 minutes ahead of time. You will not get time back for being late. You will lose it.
- Bring your prepared list of house options you liked and pictures.
- You will first meet your home design studio consultant who will take you through each part of the studio to complete your home.
- The first part of the home design studio session is focused on the technology of the house. This is where you will meet the technology consultant to discuss your options and upgrades for installing surround sound speakers, home media entertainment systems built into the house, security systems, wiring (ex: CAT5 versus CAT6 cables), and other in-home technology (ex: cameras). For us, we went for the CAT6 wiring and avoided integrating the cost of media technology into our mortgage. If you’re interested in Beazer’s installation services, you can still get them to install for you after the house is built which is nice.
- The next parts include choosing your lights, carpet, tiles, cabinets (kitchen, bathroom, etc), paint (internal/external), railings, kitchen appliances, faucet finishes, sinks, shower, bathtub, and more. Some of your options include micro elements such as choosing the color of your grout.
- Once you have finished selecting your options, the home design studio consultant will document, review, and ask you to initial and finalize your options. Again, you will get a 24-48 hour period to make changes without a penalty (check with your local Beazer Home Design Studio consultant for the actual period as it may change). Typically, you will receive an X amount of free upgrade dollars which you can use for upgrades in the studio or a discount on more premium land. This depends on the Beazer special promotions in your local area. For your upgrades, you will be asked to contribute 1% of your upgrades as an upgrade downpayment. This money all contributes into your overall down payment at the end.
What Should You Consider Upgrading?
For us with our little ones running around, we felt it was important to upgrade from carpets to tiles for the living room and the dining room. These two areas receive an extensive amount of walking traffic within the house. This means more risk for ruining the carpet with vulnerable wear and tear in addition to stains.
Lighting in the house was quite important to us. The right lighting and design can create an enjoyable and happy atmosphere so we upgraded our lights.
We upgraded to iron rods for the stairs as it will be difficult to install later on plus it is more durable and stable than wood.
If you can afford to, I would recommend expanding the covered patio so you can enjoy time outside without burning in the sun.
What You Should Not Get in the Design Studio
Remember, everything you add in the design studio will somewhat contribute to your overall monthly payment.
We decided to not add fans in the design studio and will do it ourselves. The cost of adding a fan to the project was not worth it.
The installation of surround sound speakers and projectors was out for us. Technology is changing rapidly and I would much prefer just getting the wiring and purchasing speakers or projectors on my own. You can seriously buy a sound speaker or project at Amazon and do it yourself.
I hope this was helpful! Feel free to reach out with any questions.
The next step in this house building journey is to finally see our land!